Wednesday, November 3, 2021

3 de Noviembre #9GoodThings

 November 3, 2021. Day three of my gratitude project. It’s been raining for the past two days pretty much non stop. While we will be happy to see the sun again, being ‘stuck’ at home does not really bother us. 

We spent so many years chasing our tails to make money so we could spend money to raise our children and pay the bills, to squeeze in vacations and fun times. But through it all, both of us never lost sight of what we truly enjoyed, what gave us the greatest sense of peace and connectedness to the natural world. At a crucial point in 2012 we decided we didn’t want to continue on the treadmill until we got too old to enjoy things and so retired to live in Costa Rica. Life was not ready to let us go completely so after months in paradise we had to return to regular life. A year later we made the leap again, this time scaling back our possessions to commit more fully. 

Again life threw us curveballs and we returned to life in the US. In the years that followed we got older, felt older and more disillusioned than ever with the craziness that seems to have infected so much of the world. Our hearts and minds turned once again to a life in paradise. 

Covid. My Dad’s untimely and sad death. Nothing but disrespect and malcontent in my workplace. We considered Costa Rica. Expenses there have skyrocketed, residency is tricky and you almost cannot function without a vehicle. Panama had more to offer and when hubby showed me videos of this place I said, “Let’s go.”

We sold all but enough to set up a small house should we need to return and we left. Little did we know we would have to return in less than 6 mos after an emergent health issue arose for him. Thanks to the love and support of my children, we had a place to ride out the diagnostic phase of the crisis and get him on a treatment path so that we could return to what we consider home. 

So, on this third day of my blogging prompt for myself I am sharing more simply wonderful reasons why life feels so rich here. Here are today’s ..


9 Good Things



Morning, meditation, music and tea..

All life awakens as if just for me.



Unfurled, wiping their sleepy eyes..



The flower that blooms and the bird that flies.




With them I share such delicacies..


Nature’s bounty, our palettes please.


Magnificent treasures awaiting their turn



Tiny surprises, oh how I yearn

to express my contentment, how can you know?



My heart is at peace when we sit, toe to toe



at end of day when we finally retreat
to share a moment with a delicate sweet. 
Ahhhhh….it was another good day. 


 Yes, those tiny speckled beauties are quail eggs. 🤭 When my friend brought the eggs she said she was one short so she put in several of these to make up the difference. I’m so excited. It really doesn’t take much to thrill this old Southern girl with an Irish soul and a warrior spirit. 

See you tomorrow. 🤗



10 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I’ve known you since your return from Costa Rica. I think it was clear that one day, you would return to paradise. I’m glad I got to meet you and hubs in person, share a meal and some laughs and stories. I am so happy that you were able to find your way back. You look and sound happy, and you deserve that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊 Thanks so much Dan. We consider that afternoon sharing food and fun conversation with you one of our star days. Who knows? Maybe you’ll someday want to visit the tropics and we would welcome you! I hope you get some time to do what you enjoy today.

      Delete
    2. I think all those things are to be grateful for Cheryl. So glad your hubs and you are back in paradise.

      Delete
    3. We are too, John. Thanks so much. Hope things are good with you and yours.

      Delete
  2. You are one of the lucky ones that gets to live their paradise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We feel very fortunate that things worked out. Thanks Pam.

      Delete
  3. Cheryl I am glad you and hubs have found your place and that he is doing better. Glad that family was there for you. Enjoy. There are many ways to step off the treadmill. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John. We sort of nose dived but here we are. We cherish the moments. 🙂

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!