Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Photography Philosophy #1Liner Wednesday

If a tree falls in a pine forest and Cheryl is nearby, will there be pictures of it? 

You betcha’! 

We had a few days of heavy winds up in the mountains and the usual bajareque (misting rains) that produce the gorgeous rainbows I love to chase. Two nights ago the wind was really howling through the pines. It was 3 am and I heard a distinct “craaack”, follow by the sound of thumping on metal. I put on some pants and my shoes and stepped outside to make sure nothing had hit the rooftops of any homes on the property. Just last year the tree beside our house was split in two and part of it fell away from this place and hit the roof of the big house, also damaging the rock wall. Nothing seemed disturbed so I went back to bed.

At around 8 am I was awakened by a rather insistent mockingbird who jumped up and down on the roof and screeched his heart out. I got up and went to the window to find this sweet gift from Mother Nature. 



I was so excited! I dressed, put on my hoodie (cuz.. the misting rain) and went in search of the best view. I just love when I can see the whole bow. I had to walk past the pines of course to get to that perfect spot but I found it. 


I took my photos with my little phone and went home happy.
Then came the text from our friend Tony saying he had been there and happened to look up and saw a pine had fallen halfway and that we should not go into the pine forest until someone took it out. 
Okay, I know, I know, another philosophy quote comes to mind, but:

I couldn’t see the forest for the rainbow. 🤦‍♀️

Of course I ran out to search for this broken pine, trying to not get too close. Fortunately, the road skirts this little ‘forest’ and I got some cool shots. 







That pine was strategically pointed between the main house and the casitas. We wondered how long it would take to get an expert up here to take the tree down. Here in Panama nothing is done halfway but sometimes things take awhile. Within a couple of hours a very nice older man with an orange and yellow vest showed up (with his helper and his family) in his SUV and started assessing the situation. 

Before too long we heard the chainsaw warming up and I grabbed my phone and went to find the best viewing spot.  Timing really is everything and I got settled just in time…




The man had skills!! 
We didn’t even lose power when it skimmed the lines. 



I hope your week is going well




12 comments:

  1. Excellent photos/video, Cheryl. I'm glad you were staying safe. Beautiful rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the third time I’m teying to reply to your comment Dan. I reply, jump through all the hoops and my comment disappears. 🤦‍♀️I try to be safe and am by nature not a daredevil. I do love to record things though.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful rainbows and nice video. Glad no one got hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. We are too. It was closer than you can see in the video. Guy was good.

      Delete
  3. I would do exactly the same thing, Cheryl. Lovely rainbow shots. I'm sorry I don't get here more often but the notification comes by email rather than in my Reader and I don't get into email that much.

    janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s okay Janet. Between WP and their glitches and now Blogger doesn’t post when they say they do, I just am happy when anyone pops in! Thank you. I am a freak for flowers, rainbows, winged things, the original granola girl they always called me. 🤷‍♀️I consider it a compliment. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful picture! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You did really well documenting the whole thing and the rainbow is gorgeous! I'm no houses were hit by the tree or lightning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. It wasn’t lightening. Just wind. 😮

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts!