Thursday, February 24, 2022

Steppin’ Out Doors_#Thursdaydoors#doors#Panama#Boquete#gates#birthdays#beatles

Some of you may wonder if I ever pay attention to actual doors at all. I do! I have loads of them in my photo cache and have posted real doors posts, but I am intrigued by the abstract things in life and love the idea of portals. 

We had to hike down the mountain to town yesterday because our regular taxi drivers were unavailable. I love walking this route but it is more difficult for hubs and his bad knees. But! We persevered and stopped about halfway for a wonderful cup of coffee and snack before heading into town. It was a good walk and a successful shopping adventure. We even checked out the new liquor store in town.. a real one! Yeah, I got treats. Hey, John! They had Woodford Reserve. πŸ˜‰ And Elijah Craig. And BITTERS! Yes! Let’s see.. where was I before the liquor kicked in? Oh yes! 

Enjoy the walk with us-and the doors! Happy Thursday! 



The first door (gate) we saw is near our home



If you look closely you’ll see there are 30 golden horseshoes adorning the gate. There was discussion about the possible significance of the number, and he was quick to observe that they are pointing the wrong way for the owners to hang on to their good luck! 😱🀭



A gratuitous view! 



I climbed that! πŸ˜€



Doors at the indigenous housing for the coffee farm workers. 
That is Bambuda Castle in the background. 



Houses with doors down behind Gate #2



Gate #2 on the walk downhill. I rather liked this one. It has simple character. 



My favorite tree! It looks like flames from a distance.



Hubby’s favorite blooming vine. They are breathtaking clusters. 



WHO is walking down my road? 



Time for a rest. And what better way than with coffee produced by one of the oldest farms in the area? Our Barista/Server was Melvin. He was so gracious, informative and generous. It felt like we had toured the coffee farm. I ordered the pour over which is made using the famous Geisha bean blended with regular coffee. It is slightly bitter and yet milder than harsh run-of-the-mill varieties. He also brought us a sample of the ‘regular’ coffee so we could see the difference for ourselves. 
Thanks Melvin! 



He deserved this break. My hubs, the Trooper.πŸ€—❤️



What a view we had. So perfect for sipping coffee, enjoying a treat and just breathing. I chose the lemon pie which was delicious. He had a Ham and Cheese Empanada. 



Well, ya can’t see the door cuz I am standing in front of it. But trust me, there were actually three of them! Philipe Motta carries most of my favorite liquors/liqueuers and a decent selection of wines and beers. And if you are missing one of your favorite indulgent snacks from home, you are likely to find it in here. From fancy mustards to Velveeta Shells and Cheese, they can hook you up. There were THREE kinds of bitters. 
What snacks did we get? Hubs chose Haagen Dazs and Otis Spunkmeyer bagels while I chose an Italian meat selection for Charcuterie and Snyders Cheese filled Pretzels. We are what we are. 🀷‍♀️

We found clothing bargains in Ropa Americana and got our other necessities before (luckily) getting a call from our favorite taxi driver, Chalito, saying he was back in town and could drive us home! 



Home, sweet home, and time to try out those bitters! πŸ₯°



Yep. It was another great day. 

PS Three of my favorite people had birthdays this month.Happy Birthday, ladies!


Lori! 



Bridget! 



Dianne! 


And Happy Birthday, dear Avalon. 



This post was brought to you by Dan Antion’s Thursday Doors prompt
Hop over to his blog if you’d like to join the doors fun and meet other great bloggers. 

This one popped into my head. 















11 comments:

  1. It is always a pleasure to take a walk with you! And I like the idea of portals as well…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I think you’re going to enjoy my book. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  2. Super doors, Cheryl. That pie looked terrific. Your views are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. The pie was so perfect. It was tart but not bitter and sweet but not sickening. A custard like layer then a clear layer on top. The views give us good reason to get up every day. πŸ‘πŸ»

      Delete
  3. Google has been messing with me. This is my third attempt at a comment.

    All doors/gates/portals and views count! I am with t hubs on the lunch snack, but I might have added a slice of pie - that looks great. I love the views outside and the view from the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hanging in Dan. Google has been trying me like a spoiled four year old. And the icing on that lunch? We got it all for $10. 🀭

      Delete
  4. Loved the walk with you and your husband. :) Both your halfway snacks sound delicious, but I just might have had to choose the lemon pie. I got so hot on my imaginary walk, the lemon sounded most delicious. Happy to see you bought my favorite bitters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marian! Thanks for joining us. The pie was so refreshing and hit the spot for me. I would have loved a frozen coffee but only a few places here serve those. I am so excited to have found the bitters. An Old Fashioned just isn’t the same without them. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
    2. Hi Marian! Thanks for joining us. The pie was so refreshing and hit the spot for me. I would have loved a frozen coffee but only a few places here serve those. I am so excited to have found the bitters. An Old Fashioned just isn’t the same without them. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  5. I also love the orange vine. Any idea what it is called?
    Lemon pie...yum...great choice to go with the coffee. Enjoy your beautiful surroundings, Cheryl, and the fabulous eats you have available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubs calls it orange Lipstick plant.This pie was really good. Thanks Mary. You stay warm.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!