Thursday, January 28, 2021

Open doors #ThursdayDoors

 One of the nice things about living here is being up in the mountains while living close to a viable town that provides 99% of what we need. If I am feeling energetic I can walk the six miles down to town to do business and catch a taxi back up. I haven’t tried making the trek back up on foot since I am usually carrying groceries or supplies. Since we were not here prior to the Covid outbreak, I’m not sure what businesses were like back then; but knowing the weather and the welcoming nature of these people, I think not much has changed with regards to how they operate other than MINSA regulations which are strictly adhered to. MINSA is their health organization which lays out the mandates and protocols for operations during this pandemic. They run a pretty tight ship which helps us feel more comfortable about shopping when necessary and visiting medical facilities as we are having to now. 

What I enjoy most is the ‘open door’ way businesses operate. The temperatures range from 64 to around 75 most of the time, getting up to 80-ish during a different season. Very few businesses have air  in the heart of town, so once they open for business the doors remain open. It’s nice to look inside and see what is going on before venturing inside or to say hello to whomever is inside. 

I have a few of the many open doors to share with you that we see all the time. Maybe I’ll have more later but it feels awkward taking photos when I am not sure I could fully explain the purpose. I hope you are all well and having a good week. We are still plugging along with hubby’s health challenges and hoping the light at the end of the tunnel keeps growing brighter. 

For more great posts and rules on this blog event, visit Dan at No Facilities He’s a wonderful writer, blog host and all around great guy. 


There is so much fresh produce in this province and it is all so wonderful and affordable. I am growing very accustomed to my daily papaya. This little stand is right on the main road but there are stands and markets everywhere for fresh produce. 



I loved the way I could see through both doorways to the view beyond. Always, there is this amazing view.  



I walk past this hotel when going into town on foot and just love these wooden doors. Everything  is always clean and well maintained.



This doorway leads to some amazing coffees and chocolates. The inside is eclectic and there is also a patio area. There are a lot of chocolate shops in town and its production appears to be as big as coffee around here. My favorite is the Mayan styled spicy chocolate they sell. I got a really nice coffee liqueur here as well.
 


And this, well, this I see every day as often as I want. I love the way the plants grow together to form the natural arched ‘doorway’. Looks like a nice place for wedding vows. 

Happy Thursday everyone! 


12 comments:

  1. These are lovely doors, Cheryl. Thanks for telling us about your new home. It's wonderful to learn about the non-touristy side of foreign countries. All of your photos have been so very pretty. I think I can understand why you like it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love sharing the beauty we have here, Dan. I guess if Covid ever fades we may see more of the touristy aspects here but even then it is seasonal. I’m so bummed they can’t have the traditional Flower Festival this year. The flowers are in full bloom and simply gorgeous. Maybe next year....🙂

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the warmth and fresh produce, Cheryl. I am a tad bit jealous! I missed the farmer's market last summer as I tried to stay away from crowds, so hoping I can experience it again by July or August. There is nothing better than an actual garden ripe tomato or crispy organic greens from the local farmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to enjoy the Farmer’s Market again soon. There are very few crowds here so very easy to avoid. I prefer to get my produce from the farmers themselves rather than the markets. They have local produce but you know. Direct is best. The lettuces are so amazing. Pineapples for a dollar? I’m really in heaven. 😉

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I just wrote a comment but guess it didn't go through. I'll try again. I've been remiss about visiting your blog, so I don't know where you are, but fresh produce stands and a shop with excellent chocolate and coffee sounds perfect.

    janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, so good to see you. My comments go to moderation first I guess. We are in Panama!

      Delete
  4. Glad you are enjoying your new digs !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your walk to town sounds lovely and long. You must be even fitter now than you were before this move.

    The chocolate sounds yummy. I like a dark chocolate with a little hit of chili. The doors are lovely and the hotel door is wonderful.

    I hope your hubby continues to do well and get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. We appreciate the good wishes. Can’t wait to get back to enjoying these things together. I like spicy chocolate too. We bought a wonderful hot chocolate mix that is slightly spicy. 😉

      Delete
  6. Hi Cheryl. Its been a long time. I was delighted when I saw your name pop up on my blog. Thank you! I see you are still going strong. I look foward to catching up and learning whats going on in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Roly! It was good to see you as well. I am hanging in. So glad to connect again. I have been blogging less due to a sudden illness for my husband but he is getting back on his feet so I hope to get busy writing again soon. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!