Thursday, April 22, 2021

Doors Dammit! #Thursdaydoors

 Hi there everyone.  Okay before you throw tomatoes or rotting veggies, let me say I am sorry I haven’t been present in the blogosphere lately.  I actually started another post about the many changes that have happened over the past year and most recently since Christmas.  I’ll get back to that one when I catch my breath.  

It would be a shame, however, to let another Thursday pass without joining #Thursdaydoors, that great blogging quest in search of all things doors related.  I often snap photos with good intentions and then get sidelined by life’s demands and other simple pleasures.  My great joy right now is catching up on personal time with family.  We are getting loads of love and adventure here.  One of the best things about this city is the mobility it affords.  One can just about walk anywhere without finding something beautiful or handy.  Anyone who really knows me knows that I am obsessed with walking, both for the exercise and the opportunity to meditate in the arms of Mother Nature.  

Spring has begun her entrance here but is lingering in the doorway for dramatic effect.  We had snow flurries two days ago!  πŸ₯Ά But I forgive her, seeing the tulips scoff at her antics, and know that in a few weeks all of their beautiful companions will show up to the party in their colorful gowns to taunt her into dancing towards Summer.  

So, here are some of the wonderful doors I have seen that I remembered to photograph.  I don’t have all the local details such as my friend, Dan, our host of the doorscursion, would surely provide; but maybe you could make up your own ideas about them.  πŸ˜Š

So, without further ado, the doors of my recent days....



A lot of the neighborhood doors are showing signs of Spring!


Many express positive thoughts to keep us smiling..


Just keep walking.  Now that I have my walking app I can see how far I’ve gone!


This is a doorway to a wonderful place.  Of course not all of the magic has arrived yet; but the tulips are a great opening act!


I love the intricate patterns in the domed entryway!


Lovely First Ladies of Spring!


Well, there are doors on those Hot Wheels.  Doors that open and close.  That is the only reason you get for this gratuitous Maw Maw moment.  πŸ˜


The weekly excursions have been such fun.  Snow flurries don’t stop Chocoholics like me and my daughter-in-law.  And what a place.  Apparently Bakers is an icon in this area and I can see why.  So much to choose from and everything so tempting.  We did gather a nice sampling to take back.


Yep.  A literal ‘kid in a candy store’.  His look says it all.  WOW.


More Spring doors.


This one was just too cool not to include. I want this door.  The house attached to it was pretty awesome as well.


There are so many beautifully unique homes in Lincoln.  I am always amazed every time we come here. And there is a rich history.  Sorry, Dan, for not including it this time.  You know me and details....


I love the color of this door!


Almost everyone has some sort of door expression.


What would a doorscursion be without a red door?


All throughout the neighborhoods there are these sharing libraries.  We stop to have a look inside each one for treasures.  At Easter some had put in plastic eggs (sanitized of course) with little surprises inside.



This is an entrance to a lovely small Episcopal church right in the middle of the neighborhood!


This church is on a main street corner.  It also has a beautiful steeple


Oh, there is almost a bunny in every yard here!  I get so excited each time we see one.  There is also a robin in every yard..and speaking of yard bunnies...


😳Isn’t he better than Harvey?  Quite a few yard totems appear throughout the city, often carved from the tree that stood there but also some that look like purchased sculptures.  Either way, I’m a fan!


Lincoln is very child and family oriented as well as being a college town and sports hub during football season in normal times.  All around the city you will find sculptures and hands play a huge part in these works of art.  This piece is just outside a school near the playground. Most all have inspirational messages on them.  I have been taking lots of photos of these art works and foresee a separate post about them at some point.  

Well, these are my doors for today.  I hope you have enjoyed your walk with me.  Maybe next time I will share our adventures from Pioneer’s Park.  They have bison living there!  And a real ‘Little House on the Prairie’ schoolhouse too!  In the meantime, I have a snuggle bug and lots to keep us busy.  I hope all of your lives are showing signs of returning to normal, whatever that is anyway.  Hugs and Love from all of us.


me and the bug..


More family to love.  He has a birthday today! Our Earth Boy.  


Watching Curious George..


Ice Cream at the UNL campus Dairy Store...yum





Sometimes change has the best fringe benefits!  







20 comments:

  1. Hi, Cheryl! Thank you for your tour and sharing your happiness. Stronger Together is a lovely sculpture, and I love the roof of that gazebo! I love all the doors too, especially the one with the three holes and the one under that. Happy spring with your people! (The only problem I have is with the font you are using. I find it really hard to read.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I’m sorry about the font. Is it the style or the size?

      Delete
    2. It's the shape, the style, I suppose. I find it really bulky and bold. But if you and your readers are happy with it, no worries. It's still legible. It's just that I know that you are a gentle soul and somehow this style doesn't suit that knowledge. :D Never mind, enjoy yourself and all good to you and your pack.

      Delete
    3. Oh I’m sorry. I’ll check on it.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, Cheryl. It's always good to have you on Thursday Doors (or anywhere). I'm so glad you are enjoying things in Lincoln, I know it has been a crazy year. I love the pictures, you have such a gift for knowing what images convey what you're feeling. I hope you can join us more often (no pressure) and I hope you can join the writing challenge (because I am a fan of your writing). Take care. My best to everyone in your family, especially those little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan. I look forward to participating! Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  3. I've been to Lincoln a few times. Nice town...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. The longer I’m here the more I see how nice it really is. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  4. Lovely doors and great family photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much.I’m happy you enjoyed it. Thanks for leaving me a comment too! πŸ˜€

      Delete
  5. There are so many whimsical doors there! I love the red one with the 3 circles, and the opening image with the flower on the door. Great walks, Cheryl! Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many lovely homes here, Deborah, and my daughter in law is great about showing me where the different areas are.

      Delete
  6. There is nothing better than a Bug Hug! It's nice to see you back and I love the stroll through your doors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo, I love that first door! So many great ones, but that one has to be my favorite. I enjoy all your "bug" pictures -- all my snuggle bugs are grown and gone, but sometimes one of the cats condescends to cuddle. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marian! They are all great. So many beautiful and interesting homes here. So right about cats condescending to cuddles. The cat who lives here will beg for attention but often she doesn’t ‘approve’ of the way it is being given. Hiss, hiss, bat, bat, stalk away. 🀦‍♀️

      Delete
  8. Great selection of doors, that red one with the circles is a winner for me. Lovely family photos, too. Thanks for posting the Bowie song, we often play that one in the car, it's one of my Bowie favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jean, I think the general consensus is that door is the favorite. Thanks, I love my family. I love that song also but never really knew it was Bowie until I searched for it to post. Learn something new every day. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great doors Cheryl. Hope you had a great visit with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. It’s been great and I still have some to see. πŸ™‚

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts!