Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Wednesday Wonder

I took an early morning walk today.  There were so many beautiful things I couldn’t count them all! 

 


Do you ever wonder


What the world was like


Before we had so many distractions?


Our actions were for our survival


And perhaps we chased butterflies


Saw pictures in the clouds


And drew images on the walls or in the soft earth


Do you remember curling your toes in the cool soft dirt,


Feeling the wind brush across your hot cheek


Sticking your tongue out to taste a raindrop


Blowing dandelion wishes


Playing hopscotch and not stepping on cracks? 
(Poor Mother!)


When is the last time you held a book in your hand and read it straight through?


The hue of dusk that rivals the rose,


Chasing fireflies beneath the moon-


Simple joys seem gone too soon!


But Nature never changes, never abandons or hides. 
It is we who have moved on, up and away from her gifts.
How long before we forget to notice the wonder that 
gives us life? 
CKP
2021



10 comments:

  1. It’s already too long between these moments. Thanks for sharing the ones you have found. Thanks for encouraging us to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the more I understand that life will force us to slow down if we don’t do it on our own. There is healing in the world around us. Thanks Dan.

      Delete
  2. I remember all those things! And I weep for the innocence we have lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel sad, Pam. While I am as guilty as the next with having my phone in hand, it is to take photos. I rarely use it for other things except to share images and greetings. There are many things my grandchildren will never experience but their parents know the value of simple pleasures so I hold out hope for those bearing the torch of stewardship of this world.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And each walk brings new wonders, John. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. You know how much I love nature, Cheryl. I told someone just yesterday about how much I love the area in which I live - the wooded trails, lakes, rivers, wildflowers, etc. Biking or walking through or past nature allows me to be present in the moment and see everything around me.

    However, I do think I need to stick my bare feet in the dirt and jump in a rain puddle, for old times' sake. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Mary. When I step in time with Mother Earth, my heart beats more slowly, my breath is steady and I feel her pulse in my veins. She is so alive! And being around the grandchildren returns me to those moments of delight just for the sake of it. Puddles indeed! Happy biking. 🤗

      Delete
  5. They're all so pretty, Cheryl! Thanks for taking us along on this walk with you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!