Sunday, May 7, 2023

The Waltz/A Love Story

 …And she turned her face to the full moon, smiling…



“I’m ready, Grandmother,” she whispered.

and donned her finest silk, then dabbed a drop

of sweetness on her cheek~



She hummed a tune that none could hear

save the winged ones hiding near-

so softly at first just

 the strains of hello




and building just so

to a slow staccato

“Louder, my dear,” 

the old one prodded

(and as I watched I swear
 she nodded!)




Raise your song high 

and open your arms

for none can resist

your tempting charms




She quivered




then shivered,

and ruffled her gown,

 shamelessly smiling

with the moon gazing down




She giggled-

I swear it’s true!




glowing most brilliant

without any hue


 Golden treasure 

lay hidden within,

a delicate prize 

that few could win





Then I,

feeling suddenly out of place

said my farewells and brushed her face




She nodded and shyly

murmured, “Goodnight”

then tilted her chin

to the glowing light


Did her champion arrive

and waltz with her there

as the blinking eyes watched

the passion they shared?




At sunrise I longed

 to know how it went

but dashing outside 

I found her there, spent!


Unable to speak-

she seemed so weak

but for the glow 

left on her cheek.


Copyright words and images

Cheryl Pennington 2023



The epiphyllum oxypetalum most often blooms during a full moon. This night cereus plant is actually not related to the more common cactus varieties found in dessert areas of the US and Mexico but can be found naturally growing in and around other trees in shady tropical areas, like Central and South America.   When it graces you with blossoms there is magic. The blooms come on slowly, taking days to a week to fully develop. When the velvety white flesh starts peeking through its deep pink tendrils the time has arrived. That’s when I begin my night vigil, waiting for her to open her arms and put on her perfume to attract the giant moths or small bats that work their mystery of pollination. This bloom will open starting just after dark, slowly spreading its petals over the next few hours until she is fully blossomed.  But if you miss it that night you will have to wait for the next blooming for this beauty will be wilting with the sunrise. I suppose she has so much fun there is nothing left to do but sleep.  If you are ever lucky and the blossom is pollinated, a fruit similar to dragonfruit might develop. I have had a few of these beautiful plants through the years but as of yet no fruit.  The photos below are of a plant I’d had for many years.  It put on 32 blooms that Summer in Florida. 







Seems a perfect accompaniment to her performance 

‘And the Waltz Goes On’ 
Composed by Sir Anthony Hopkins




























8 comments:

  1. Pretty flowers matching a pretty poem. Thanks Cheryl !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful, Cheryl. Thanks for the information about the flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan. It is always an experience. I read where some people have parties for these events! I channeling my inner ‘Dan’ yesterday. 😉

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful pairing! A beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's truly beautiful, Cheryl. Also, I didn't expect the flower to be so huge. Thanks for including the photos that show perspective. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Teagan. It is a huge bloom and when there are 32 it is almost surreal.

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts!