Friday, June 30, 2023

Big City Doors #ThursdayDoors

 Hi hi! 

My consistent excuse for being hit and miss is the book, and once I start the publishing grind I am afraid I might disappear within the land of blips, beeps and hair pulling challenges. 

Meanwhile, we took a business trip to Panama City… Panama, that is. As in Central America. You can’t believe the number of people we interact with who instantly think we are talking about Florida, even after we tell them we live in Panama the country. Combine that with there being a town in our second home of Nebraska named Panama, and we have taken to saying we live in Panama-as in you need a passport to enter. 

So, back to our very quick trip. We had business at the embassy which is very nice, by the way, albeit the uber young manager over the notarizations department didn’t have a clue about what I needed. After a couple of trips in and out of the building, I’m happy to say we got what we got it done. 

With a bit of free time left, we took a side trip to one of the city’s huge malls which was a virtual wonderland. We barely covered a third of it, I’d wager. We also got in some nice meals and I got a few doors pics to share for my talented good friend Dan Antion and his #ThursdayDoors weekly prompt. 

I hope everyone else is faring well in these ridiculously uncertain times. Enjoy a mini view of Panama City, Panama below.



The hotel we stayed in was quite old but nice and the staff very friendly. There was a pool but ditzy me didn’t squeeze a suit into my carry on backpack. 



Hotel lobby with doors. 



Our first food adventure was to a well established Chinese restaurant named Sunly, that specializes in Dim Sum. We ordered from the main menu and the portions were huge, the food was delicious and the value was just incredible
.  


We chose shrimp wontons for an appetizer



Hubby ordered Kung Pao Chicken and we shared this platter of combo fried rice



Me? Tofu and Eggplant for the win. You know, healthy to counter those THREE servings of rice I had 🤦‍♀️



There was a TGIFriday’s attached to the hotel, and while I didn’t take any door photos I can assure you we used one to get inside for this well deserved dessert which we shared. 



No photos of the embassy doors if you want to be allowed to leave without being arrested


I once had a book by Steve Martin titled Cruel Shoes. He must have had the same pair I was wearing that day. One walk up the hill and I had vicious blisters on both heels. And I had to go up twice! 



This little this-and-that store had fun things for kiddos, with lots of doors. My son and grandson would LOVE this car. 



All the grands would love this! Every entrance was themed with a different animal, all represented with life sized replicas. This one was-you guessed it-the D entrance. D is for….



And not only was it a ginormous mouth, it was also an escalator, or escalera mechanica in Spanish. This is a Dinosaurio here. Yeah we had to ride up and, yeah, I took a video but it is so complicated to put a video on a blog anymore, so my apologies. It was fun. 🫢



Doors to the indoor bowling alley! 



There must be something that passes for a door here because I just love carousels and wasn’t not going to post it.  Use your imagination.  I’m pretty sure there’s a mechanics door in the middle. 



SO many stores and so many doors! 



The mysterious entrance to the restaurant we chose for a skyline view of PC.  Looks like a Minecraft face doesn’t it? 



Still uncertain if we’d ducked behind the right metal panel, we headed upstairs. 



Yep! We’re in the right place! 




Even though it was raining we ordered our first of several custom cocktails and settled in to enjoy the view. Mine? The Negroni, of course! 



The rain finally stopped and we could see the city skyline.



There was a hazyview of the canal also. That bird sat there the entire time we were eating.



He chose ribs and I had the pulled pork sliders with patacones



Then the sun set and the lights came on! 👏🏻👏🏻




Next morning we would be leaving so we took another walk around the El Dorado area and found this delightful bakery called 888. 😱🤤So many good things. We ate a few then snagged a box to bring home



There were three of these cases and several cold ones as well. The coffee was great too



These breads were so light and fluffy!



My final door is to the faro, or lighthouse, just outside of Boquete. The sunset was just beautiful as we happily made our way back home. Be sure to visit Dan’s blog to find more great doors posts and join in if you haven’t already! 

Oh duh! I almost forgot the most curious door…


While I’m not certain of its significance, there was a guy selling produce and eggs right beside it. Perhaps it is a secret door to his sprawling mansion. I sure hope so. ❤️

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl. I had to laugh at the beginning. Sometimes, I think I might need a passport to get into Nebraska, but that's because I'm coming from Iowa. I love the doors, the sights and the food - oh my goodness, the food! I am hungry, and I think I want pulled pork sliders, although I don't know anyone around here that has them. Thanks for joining us. I don't know if ex-pats celebrate the 4th, but hopefully you'll have nice thoughts for us as you sip something cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Dan. Nebraska is a sort of continent of its own. We usually sip something cool every day, Dan, but I’ll have two. One for me and another for you. 🤔I haven’t had a Modelo in awhile. Yes, a few celebrate the 4th and some restaurants offer celebration specials. In fact we’re going to one of my favorite spots the day after to have a belated birthday dinner. They are having two for one amazing burgers specials. You have a grill right? You can make your own pulled pork sliders. In a pinch I’ve made them on the stove. No restaurant version ever lives up to my personal ‘Texan Grill-man’s’ but those were okay. The pastries though…🤤Happy Fourth to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. I gained 5 pounds simply looking at the marvelous food offerings in your photos. So yummy! Through your posts, it seems to me that Panama is an excellent place for restaurants, food and drink. Don't know if I could ever live there...lol...but enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!