Thursday, November 11, 2021

The Last Best Book/#1LinerWednesday



Okay, I know I’m late, but I just had to post this in an effort to complete my goal this month. And I do have a good reason for not making the deadline last night. I was finishing up the last best book I have ever read. Some might consider it a children’s book, but it is much more than that. It is a doorway into the possibility of imagination and an examination into the power of words. 

In 2008 a little film was released with Brendon Fraser called Inkheart. I was pulled into it as quickly as the hero reads characters in and out of books. Cornelia Funke has done an amazing job of weaving the tale of Mortimer, the Bookbinder, and his family. My son felt it was a weak film but I was hooked. Of course, with Fraser as the star, there was no way it could be bad for me. I did agree, however, that the film seemed somehow incomplete There were holes  that needed filling, untrodden paths and wonders yet to be revealed. I did some research and yes, there was not only a book but there were three books! I promptly purchased them as I was able and began untangling the silken threads of the Inkworld. 

Life put roadblocks in my way, some were painful and others too captivating to make time for reading. But, now that we live in a place that fulfills my own vision of magic and wonder, I began the last (and best) book in the series. Inkdeath. While all the books were very engrossing, entertaining and unpredictable, this last piece took me on a wild ride. As I read the last chapters late into the night I experienced the full gamut of emotions that only a good story can inspire. Pounding heart, sweaty palms, joy, fear, relief, pain, heartbreak, enchantment-all woven in perfect disarray. 

So, if you like the idea of creating your world, if your mind takes flights of fancy and your soul longs to experience the joy of leaving all your physical limitations behind, open this book. Maybe you should see the film first, or maybe not. I liked it because it gave me a visual touchstone for the characters. It was accurate for the most part, just incomplete. 

So, my Last Best Book award goes to Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. You can snag the entire three book series On Amazon and the Kindle version is very reasonable. Someday I would love to have the hardback set. I imagine the sketches in them are wonderful. 

Here is s preview of this magical film. I wish they had the vision to complete the series in film. 




4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful series. My mind definitely takes flights of fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dan. While this isn’t your typical kind of read I think you would be intrigued by the characters and their very real relationships. It’s comforting now and then to believe we truly create our world and could possibly step into a world of mystery and imagination.

      Delete
  2. I was captivated by the movie! The whole concept just blew me away. I will look for the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you will love the books, then, Pam. The last one is the most exciting of all. 👍🏻

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts!