Monday, January 17, 2022

I’m Up For It #writingchallenge #TBR

 Good morning friends! In my current state of inspiration, I decided to follow Dan’s lead and participate in  the writing challenge hosted by Myths of the Mirror. Dee’s prompt for today is #TBR. Visit her blog at the link to get details about how her system works. 

In short, TBR refers to those lonely books waiting patiently for us to turn or return our attention to them. While most folks say they don’t use e-readers, I am different in that I do both. I love a great book in hand, smelling the pages, looking at the illustrations, seeing the typed print on the page, etc. But in my current circumstance it is not possible to have all my treasured friends with me so I must depend on the electronic readers I have. Notice I said ‘readers’, as in plural. This serves several purposes since some venues offer better deals and services than others as well as the ease of reading several books at once.As Dan stated, I also like to read different things for different moods. For me it might be horror, humor, metaphysical, autobiography or fantasy. Heck, I’m also reading a dictionary of theory-Archimedes to Hawking. I feel somehow it exercises my critical thinking gray matter. πŸ˜‚

It is a more common conundrum than I realized until recently. My current list of reads, aside from Beta reading for some wonderful writer friends, include:

Immigrant Secrets (John Mancinci)

Wisdom Codes (Greg Braaden)

What If (Shirley MacLaine)

Secret Teachings of All Ages

Armada (Ernest Cline)

The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)

Archimedes to Hawking

Not to mention I am perpetually reading the various Harry Potter books just to keep me hopeful in this uncertain world. 


Like dutiful soldiers 

they stand

waiting,

anticipating

their call to duty~

ready to share 

their words

of adventure-

indentured

to my folly.

golly!

All I need is 

more time-

what crime 

is it

to want to live 

and breathe?

My mind seethes

with impatience

for my impudence.

common sense 

dictates

balance,

a delicate dance 

between 

the real 

and the imagined.

Soon I will relent

and sit, content

to while away my hours

locked in ivory towers

or

soaring to the stars,

skulking in smoky bars

while I ponder

life’ mysteries

and humankind’s

histories.

Calming rain plunks

on the metal roof

and Nature is aloof.

Perhaps she, too,

has a TBR list-

or maybe she just rests.


Cheryl K Pennington

Copyright 2022




19 comments:

  1. What a great poem, Cheryl! I love the rhymes that march it forward. I'm so glad you were inspired to join in the fun. I've got a little reblog backlog, but can't wait to share. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of my books being indentured soldiers to my folly. I really like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only a bit of control in our lives eh Pam? They are patient and loyal.

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful, Cheryl! You captured the spirit of our relationship to the TBR pile. I also appreciate your effort to read stuff from me, considering the weight of that pile.

    Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan. My books are never a weight. In fact I feel quite neglectful and guilty that I keep them waiting so long. I love reading your work. 😊

      Delete
  4. I have a backlog of books to read as well. Many started but, not nearly finished! I'm distracted and can't quiet my mind to sit and read a book for long these days.

    Your poem is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah. I so understand that. Seems like I once fell easily into reading and now that I’m officially retired i have more distractions. Or could it be less need for escaping into books? πŸ€”

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for including Immigrant Secrets in your reading pile! I also seem to wander between print, ebook and/or audiobook versions of books, each providing something a bit different along the way. I especially like when I have an audio and either print or ebook version going at the same time, allowing me to continue "reading" while on daily walks or rides. Thanks again. jm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I love reading also but since we have been in paradise I have a lot of distractions, like rainbows, birds, hikes, etc. And I am still working on my novel. I am enjoying your book. I love interesting biographical books about regular people which is why yours appealed to me. As soon as I am finished I will post a review in Amazon for you. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog. If I were as diligent as Dan I would have linked to your Amazon page but I am usually blogging late at night. I hope all is going well with it.

      Delete
  6. llove this Cheryl! nice job! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by my blog. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  7. Nice job! I loved the way you stacked the words too, much like my tottering TBR pile. I have a rather eclectic taste in genres also, which I think keeps it interesting. So many books waiting for their call to duty, so little time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep the diversity in reading going. It is the one thing we have when life gets dull. πŸ˜€Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great response to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful poem about our deep connection to our TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great poem. Indentured soldiers is an apt description!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!