Saturday, December 5, 2020

Hello Beautiful! #SoCS

 For today’s #SoCS Linda Hill says to write or talk about ‘list’ or ‘lists’. You wouldn’t think that to be a difficult task. We all make them...on paper, in our heads, on our phones, a chalkboard on the fridge...look here’s one already! 

I could list my grandchildren...all eight! 

I could list the things I am thankful for...too lengthy.

Grocery list? Boring. 

Things I hope to accomplish? Too evolutionary.

Hmmmmm....how about something beautiful? We have made new friends since moving here, some two legged, but none as lovely as my feathered friends. They are so happy when I leave a bit of fresh fruit and tolerate my camera..from a distance...as long as they don’t see me. 

Now if you are expecting genus and species names for them all, well, you need to remember this isn’t Dan’s place. He is the details guy and would surely research every single one of these beauties. Me? I have done so before using our tropical bird guide book, but alas, I did not bring it with me this time. I do know that most of these colorful creatures are in the tanager family because a really nice new local friend told me so. One is definitely a Baltimore Oriole. I guess they have long held dual residency because I saw them in Costa Rica too! 

To me these feathered friends are more special than their information, each having its own personality, proclivities and partnerships. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. 



Scarlet


He must be the chief 


Little blue



Tanager family


Hummingbird. But you knew that didn’t you? 😉


Little blue



Oriole! I know this one. 



I am told this one is in the hummingbird family. It has a similar beak, but you can’t tell because it is buried in bliss. Just like me when I see them. 
Happy weekend everyone. Find something beautiful to take your mind off of the ugliness. It’s out there.


10 comments:

  1. gorgeous. I will have to look these up. If my current guide covers them. Or get lost on wiki / google. I seem to recall that hummer's feet were just for perching and not for walking. Which would explain the 'related' on the last beauty. Thanks Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked them John. Hubs just looked up the first which I felt was in the Cardinal family but have been told tanager. The online information says that while they have long been classified as a tanager, they have now changed it to the cardinal family. And the hummers here, while they still move and feed quickly, can sit and hop on branches much longer than they do back in the states. I guess their blood pressure is lower too. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful birdies, Cheryl! You are so blessed to live in a place that has such beauty in birds and other creatures and I'm happy to hear that you're settling in, making new friends, enjoying where you are. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. It truly is a gift. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. 🤗

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous list, Cheryl!! You've seen some beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am fortunate to see them most days! Thanks Deborah. 🙂

      Delete
  5. These are beautiful nÊe friends, Cheryl. My penchant for details doesn't extend to "birdy birds" as I often refer to them. The Editor would look them up. I just know they're pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for appreciating them and their beauty, Dan. Hubs looked them up after reading my post. I just know they make my soul happy. 🙂

      Delete
  6. They are indeed, John. They are indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!